Thursday, July 02, 2015

Interesting Anecdote

I'm reading my first Zig Ziglar book, Born to Win.

I'm only a couple chapters in and just came across this great anecdote:

Three men were buys at the same task, and a passerby stopped and asked each of the men what they were doing.

The first man said, "I am cutting stone."

The second man said, "I am earning my living."

The third man said, "I am building a cathedral."

The first man saw no purpose or value in what he was doing, and my guess is that this days were long and tedious.  He probably went home tired and exhausted every night and dreaded going to work each day.

The second man had a different perspective.  He saw cutting the stones as a means to earn a living and probably had a better attitude than the first man.  However, the value and purpose he saw in his effort was merely about getting his paycheck.  I imagine this man spent a lot of time thinking about other jobs he might be able to get and probably found his work boring and repetitive.

The third man knew he was cutting stone, and he knew he was earning a paycheck, but he also saw value and purpose in his work that transcended those basic realities.  The third man was building a cathedral that would be used by people. The cathedral would be a spiritual and social center where me band women could come to worship and fellowship together.  That church, when completed, would give people hope and help them live better lives.  What do you think the third man's attitude was about his work? My guess is that he couldn't wait to get to work every day. I imagine he arrived early and stayed late. He probably talked about his work all the time and was grateful to be doing something that was so much fun! I'm sure he could  visualize that finished cathedral in his mind and couldn't wait to go there.

So, are you cutting stone, getting a paycheck, or building a cathedral?

No comments: